Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Recipe Review: Buffalo Popcorn Chicken Bites

The original recipe is by Rachael Ray and it can be found here. I love her 30 minute meal recipes. They are super simple, quick and delicious. I try to make a new and different recipe at least once a week. My husband would be perfectly content having the same meals over and over again. (He's super picky and sticks with what he likes.) I, on the other hand, need variety. I love food and I love trying out new recipes. I needed something quick and easy that I could make before we headed out food shopping this evening. I also needed something that our 2 small children could eat too, with a simple modification.

After chopping my chicken into bite sized pieces I tossed them with a few teaspoons of hot sauce, according to the recipe. Then, still following the recipe, dredged them in the dry pancake mix, then dipped them in the batter made of pancake mix, water and hot sauce. I typically don't measure things, I simply mixed the 2 1/2 cups of pancake mix with enough water to make a slightly thicker pancake batter, then added hot sauce to taste. I added the coated chicken in batches to canola oil over medium low heat and cooked until dark golden brown. (For the kiddos I simply made some extra batter on the side without the hot sauce.) These weren't spicy for me or the hubs at all, so after cooking and letting them cool I tossed them in some additional hot sauce. Much better.

What I love most about cooking is being able to tweak things to your personal preferences. This recipe is a perfect example. I will definitely make these again, probably when having guests over for a birthday party, super bowl party, holiday, etc. It would be easy to make a large batch and keep them warm in the oven until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment