Friday, April 13, 2012

Recipe Review: Slow-Cooker Barbecue Chicken




This was my first attempt at a slow-cooker meal by myself. I consider myself to be a pretty good cook, but was wanting to branch out and try new recipes. I had a brand new slow-cooker that I received as a wedding gift a few years ago and decided to pick a simple recipe for my first attempt with it. My husband is a very picky eater and neither one of us particularly likes meat, with the exception of chicken. I figured this was a good recipe to try since it's not a typical chicken recipe, but more mimics a pulled pork sandwich (which neither one of us would ever eat). I have to say both my husband and I were very pleased with this one. It was SUPER easy to make and came out great. The original recipe can be found above but I modified mine slightly:

  • 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I cut mine in half to fit better into the bottom of the slow cooker)
  • 1 cup Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing & Marinade
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce


  1. In a small mixing bowl, combine barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
  2. Arrange chicken in bottom of slow cooker, cover with sauce.
  3. Cook on low for approximately 5 hours or until done.
  4. Remove chicken to cutting board or plate. Shred with forks.
  5. Return Chicken to slow-cooker and combine with sauce.
  6. Serve on bread of your choice.

I served mine on toasted Kaiser rolls. The recipe calls for the chicken to be cooked for 5 hours, however mine was done after about 3 1/2. This was probably because my slow-cooker was brand new. I also did not add the cornstarch and chicken broth at the end that the original recipe called for. Mine turned out fine without it but I would assume the cornstarch would simply thicken up the sauce. Super easy, super quick and super delicious!
     
 



No comments:

Post a Comment